Just realized I never got around to writing about my Sri Lanka trip. Although I’m no longer am with the person with whom I went vacationing with, the beauty of the place lingers nonetheless. And it was an activity-packed trip, which meant we saw too much to ever forget them. Sri Lanka must be one of the last un-discovered gems in South Asia.
It’s not expensive either – a driver for 5 days would set you back just 300 USD, and you will have his unparalleled attention for the entire journey. Domestic travel (e.g. flights, buses, trains) are relatively undeveloped so the best mode of transport is really a private car. Aman resorts in Sri Lanka must also be the cheapest worldwide on a USD basis.
In slightly over a week, we did the following (it was crazy):
- Two thirds of the UNESCO-protected Cultural Triangle – Sigiriya, Dambulla (central)
- Hang out with the driver in his village – super fun!
- Enormous elephant safari somewhere nearby Sigiriya
- Whale and dolphin watching – Trincomalee (northeast) – but we saw nothing!
- Home of the Buddha Tooth Relic – Kandy (central-south)
- Hills, tea plantations and surreal old England – Nuwara Eliya, Ella (central-souther)
- Amazing wild beach and an Aman resort! – Tangalle (south)
- Seaside fort and UNESCO protected too – Galle (south-west)
And this was my favorite of all – the wild but spectacular beaches of Tangalle